Wednesday, September 15, 2010

PSA about COLD SORES (aka Mouth HERPES)


Cold Sores. Fever Blisters. HERPES.


*cue Psycho soundtrack*


Don't worry. I'm here to help.


Well loves, I am a carrier of that lovely little virus known as Herpes. No, not the ones below the belt (I don't know what those feel or look like, but if its anything like this, I feel sorry for those Valtrax costumers). The really pretty sores that like to show up out of know where and live...right...on... my face. Specifically on my lips.

If you've never experienced one, consider yourself blessed. If you've never seen one, go Google a picture. I was going to post one here, but after Googling images, I decided it was way too excruciating to put one on my blog. I'd have a big herpes infestation on my page for the next 6 posts or so and really, how attractive would that be? No thanks, I'll pass. Having it on my face is bad enough.

Anyways, those monsters are hideous. They start out as little pimples and within hours multiply into ginormous marble-sized growths attached to your face. They throb. They ooze puss. (Really sexy, no?) And they typically like to hang around for a good two weeks or so. If you're extra lucky, they leave a scar.

I've heard stories of people who are attacked by these things ONCE A MONTH. I would probably have ended my existence a long time ago if this were the case for me, but its not, and that's why I'm still here. No, I come under attack about twice a year. Stress, sunburn and windburn all seem to be attributing factors. If I had myself an emotional meltdown, a few days later I'd feel that familiar tingling on my lips. I'd load up on Carmex, Abreva, anything I could get my desperate hands on to try and get rid of the blisters as soon as possible. NOTHING seemed to work. UNTIL NOW:
No joke. L-Lysine. You find it in the vitamin section of the grocery store. AND IT WORKS! It works like a little tiny miracle in pill form, honest. As soon as I start to get "the tingle", I pop a good handful of these babies and I'm in the clear. No worries, I totally Googled "Lysine overdose" after I took a good 5 or 6 pills out of desperation. Luckily, nothing about Lysine overdoses ever showed up and since Google doesn't lie, I know I'm safe. And you will be too. Trust Google.

Yeah.

Fear no more, mouth herpes sufferers! L-Lysine is a superhero in vitamin form.


Until next time,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment